this is me with what i think is the best alternative to plastic bags – a vintage fabric shopper that shows some protest. it’s great to be able to voice your opinion and protest without having to open your mouth. katherine hamnett did it best in the 1980’s with her protest slogan t-shirts still available now and in organic cotton to boot – you must remember 58% DONT WANT PERISHING.
limited edition vintage protest shoppers available from bdc world archive at portabello market – fridays. currently available – 1950’s interiors print protest shoppers – shop in style for only £25 a pop.
Consider the Following Shocking Facts About Plastic Shopping Bags:
- Plastic bags are made of polyethylene
- Polyethylene is a petroleum product
- Production contributes to air pollution and energy consumption
- Four to five trillion plastic bags are manufactured each year – trillions!!!!!!
- Of those 100 trillion plastic bags, 1% are recycled
- It takes 1000 years for polyethylene bags to break down
- As polyethylene breaks down, toxic substances leach into the soil and enter the food chain
- Approximately 1 billion seabirds and mammals die per year by ingesting plastic bags
- Plastic bags are often mistaken as food by marine mammals. 100,000 marine mammals die yearly by eating plastic bags.
- These animals suffer a painful death, the plastic wraps around their intestines or they choke to death
- Plastic bag choke landfills
- Plastic bags are carried by the wind into forests, ponds, rivers, and lakes
i am gob-smacked by how many plastic bags are handed over at shop counters daily….. how you consume decides the future of the planet. plastic or no plastic – you decide. just say no.